Hundreds of cosmetic surgeries and procedures are performed every day. From tummy tucks and breast augmentations to laser hair removal and botox, there are very literally procedures to fix every perceived physical flaw imaginable. Of all the cosmetic procedures performed, there are two that have maintained incredible popularity since they were first offered.
Breast augmentations are the second most popular plastic surgical procedures, representing nearly 20% of all cosmetic plastic surgeries. A total of more than 1.2 million breast augmentations were performed in 2010, just surpassing the U.S. total of another popular cosmetic procedure. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, nearly 1 million laser hair removal treatments were performed in the U.S. in 2010. The Society indicated that laser hair removal is the most popular cosmetic procedure for women under 35 and second only to botox for women over 35. In this article, we’ll look at the specifics about two of America’s best loved cosmetic procedures.
The Breast Augmentation Procedure
Breast augmentation refers to the surgical placement of implants to increase the size and projection of the breasts. Steps of the procedure are as follows:
- Incision: The surgeon cuts in an inconspicuous area to minimize visible scarring. Some women opt for incisions below the breast, while others opt for incisions in the armpit or around the areolae.
- Implantation: There are two options in terms of implants. Saline implants are filled with sterile salt water. In the event of a leak, a saline implant collapses and the body absorbs and expels the salt water. Silicone implants are filled with an elastic gel that feels and moves like natural breast tissue. If the implant leaks, the gel sometimes remains in the shell and sometimes escapes into the implant pocket. Regular visits to a plastic surgeon to confirm that the implants are intact is necessary. Regardless of the type of implant chosen, size and shape must be discussed with the surgeon beforehand.
- Inserting the implant: Implants can either be placed under the pectoral muscle or directly behind the breast tissue, over the pectoral muscle.
- Closure of incisions: Incisions are closed with layered sutures, skin adhesive, or surgical tape.
- Recovery: A post surgical breast augmentation recovery time of one or two days is required, and a few days of low activity are recommended. Soreness and swelling usually persists for a few weeks.
Laser Hair Removal Procedures
Laser hair removal is the process of removing unwanted hair by exposing it to pulses of laser light that destroy the hair follicle. When asked about laser hair removal costs, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons stated that the average cost for laser hair removal is $235 per session, though the cost can vary based on the size of the treatment area, number of treatments, the person performing the treatment, and the location of the procedure. Facial laser hair removal is particularly popular as it eliminates the need to tweeze or shave. Facial laser hair removal can also be performed for men, not only eliminating the need to shave, but annoying side effects like razor bumps. Facial laser hair removal does remove the hair completely, even eliminating five o clock shadow.
Of the 10.2 million cosmetic procedures performed in the U.S. in 2008, breast augmentation and laser hair removal represented a significant percentage. Further questions about either procedure should be directed to a licensed professional. More like this: www.twincityplasticsurgery.com